CRIMINAL LAWYER TANIA ALAVI
Criminal Lawyer Tania Alavi is a Partner with the AP Law Group, with offices in Gainesville and Ocala, Florida. With a focus on Florida Criminal Defense, Federal criminal defense, Tania has a deep understanding of legal issues and major court cases that affect her clients. She maintains an extensive presence throughout the Fifth Judicial Circuit (Marion, Citrus, Hernando, Lake and Sumter Counties) and the Eighth Judicial Circuit (Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Gilchrist, Levy, and Union Counties).
ATTORNEY TANIA ALAVI’S COMMITMENT TO YOU
Tania Alavi is an Ocala and Gainesville area Criminal Lawyer. Whether she’s defending persons charged with DUI, Drug Possession, Domestic Battery or 1st-degree Murder, Tania is known as a compassionate advocate, savvy negotiator, and a seasoned trial attorney. Her over 25 years of experience combined with her understanding of the local prosecutors and judges, enhance her ability to help her clients.
Tania is certified to represent individuals charged with Death Penalty crimes and has years of experience helping clients with mental health concerns. She has defended people from all walks of life, including indigent people, working folks and successful professionals. Her reputation as a fierce advocate is such that, when Law Enforcement Officers or their families have had legal troubles, they too have counted on her for help. Tania also represents crime victims and juveniles.
Tania is a member of the Florida Bar and admitted to the U.S. District Court – Middle District of Florida, and the District of Columbia Bar.
Tania obtained her Juris Doctor Degree at the University of Florida Levin College of Law in 1991, where she currently teaches trial skills and trial advocacy as an Adjunct Professor.
Criminal Lawyer Tania Alavi is the “Director at Large” with the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (FACDL), past President of Marion County Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and a member of other local professional associations, including the Eighth Judicial Bar Association, the Fifth Judicial Bar Association, James C. Adkins, Jr, Inn of Court – 8th Circuit, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) and past member of the American Bar Association Death Penalty Due Process Committee.
Tania actively supports her Gainesville and Ocala communities, working with the Pace Center for Girls (Board of Directors, 2018 – present); A Very Good Deed, (Advisory Board, 2016-present); Women’s Investment Club, (2000 – present); Cade Museum of Creativity and Invention. (Multiple Committees, 2010 – 2014); the Children’s Home Society Board of Directors (early 2000’s & 2014-2018); and University of Florida Center for Performing Arts, (Board of Directors, 2007 – 2016).
Tania recently wrote “The Power of a Parent” published in the FACDL Florida Defender Magazine.
TANIA Z. ALAVI
Attorney Tania Alavi
Gainesville and Ocala Criminal Defense Lawyer
Partner, The AP Law Group
106 NW 2nd Avenue
Gainesville, Florida 32601
Phone: (352) 336-2700
108 N. Magnolia Avenue
Ocala, Florida 34475
Phone: (352) 732-9191
Education & Admissions:
- University of Florida College of Law – Law Degree (Juris Doctor) Awarded 1991
- Admitted to Florida Bar
- Admitted to District of Columbia Bar
- Admitted to US District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Judicial Law Clerk
- Public Defender
- Family, Criminal, and Insurance Defense Law experience in private practice
- Certified Family Law Mediator
- Alavi, Bird & Pozzuto P.A., (Self‐Employed Partner, 1996 – 2019; Managing Partner, 8 years)
- The AP Law Group (Partner, 2019-present)
- Adjunct Professor at UF College of Law teaching trial skills and trial advocacy
- Field Supervisor, Death Penalty Externship, UF College of Law
- Presenter, various CLE seminars: Capital Jury Selection, Juvenile Re-Sentencing Seminar; Public Defender Association Conference, DUI, Trial & Sentencing Strategies Re: Juvenile Capital Cases (2008-2018, Orlando)
Areas of Practice:
- Criminal Trial Law
- Appellate Law
- Death Penalty Certified
- Mental Health Matters
- Medical Practice Matters
- Family Law
Representative Clientele (Past and Present):
- Law Enforcement Officers
- Probation Officers
- Family Members of Law Enforcement.
- Indigent Clients
- Juveniles & At‐Risk Youth
- Insurance Companies
- Victims of Crime
Professionalism & Professional Affiliations:
- Florida Bar
- Washington D.C. Bar Association
- Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association
- Fifth Judicial Circuit Bar Association
- Eighth Judicial Circuit Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- James C. Adkins, Jr Inn of Court, 8th Circuit
- American Bar Association Death Penalty Due Process Committee
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Board Member, (2007 – present)
- Director at Large, (2011 – 2014)
- Legislative Committee, (2014 – present)
- Death Penalty Committee, Co‐chair (2009‐2012; 2017‐present)
- Nominating Committee, (2010)
- By‐laws Committee Chair, (2010 – 2011)
- Marion County Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, (President, 2007 – 2011)
- Florida Capital Resource Center, (Board Member, 2013 – present)
- Children’s Home Society, Board of Directors (early 2000’s; 2014-2018)
- University of Florida Performing Arts, (Board of Directors, 2007 – 2016)
- Women’s Investment Club, (2000 – present)
- Cade Museum for Invention & Innovation, (Multiple Committees, 2010 – 2014)
- Pace Center for Girls, (Board of Directors 2018-present)
- A Very Good Deed, (Advisory Board, 2016-present)